Absolute Crap!! Do NOT watch this film under ANY circumstances!!!
By a customer
, 16 Jan 2009
For the longest time the original Highlander film was the ONLY Highlander movie that existed in my mind, I simply blocked anything else out. Having caught 'Endgame' on TV once, and having never been captivated by the live action series (the few times I gave it a chance), I ignored all other Highlander fillms.
I loved the cartoon series as a child, and later the original movie really captured my attention. Then for the longest time there was nothing. Then the anime movie was released by the same company who produced the live-action series and later films based on that. So I decided to rent 'The Source' and at the same time rent out the sequels to the original movie.
Let's just say 'dissapointment' is NOT a strong enough word. But to be honest, 'The Source', as utterly crap as it was, was lightyears better than this, and I would quicker sit down and rewatch that than watch 'The Quickening' again!! In fact, after watching Highlander 2, I kid you not, 'The Source' actually feels like it was a better film than it actually was.
I'll be quick with the rest of this:
(1) The storyline does not mesh with the original's.
(2) The storyline is rubbish in and of itself.
(3) The movie feels rushed.
(4) The soundtrack (score & artist work) does not fit with the movie at all.
(5) Facts from the first film are entirely ignored or stupidly forgotten (e.g. Ramirez says in the original he was in the employ of King Charles V of Spain, in this its King Philip of Spain - AND IT'S DIRECTED BY THE SAME GUY!! How dimwitted must you be to blott out stuff like that? If a sequel doesn't mesh, it feels childish, and man! does this feel childish).
(6) The fight scenes are BARELY that - it feels like they decided to just wing it for a few shots that where left until the end of the filming (maybe they only had 5mins to shoot 3 fight scenes).
To be honest, from about 5mins in you find out that they've decided to do a Superman bit; exiled to earth, Connor McLeod (who is still is called McLeod, even though its a good few hundred years before he 'joined' the clan McLeod but don't let me even get started on that), enhanced by the power of our yellow sun is now and immortal...... believe me, all they didn't mention was the yellow sun bit!
And these are just a few of the reasons (and there are many more!) for why you should not even CONSIDER that this movie exists. Pretend it doesn't and move on with your life! That's pretty much what those of us unfortunate enough to have experienced this movie will be doing for the rest of our lives.
Please, I beg of you, spend your time watching something else altogether, and accept the original movie as the only movie in the live action Highlander range.
- Was this review helpful to you?
(0) Yes |